Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 16th, 2007, 04:24 PM
craigc

awesome - how is that secured to the dash?
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

let's not get the details out... it was painful.

Old April 17th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

The Garmin factory supplied adhesive disk will adhere to the dash and hold, at least a Streetpilot III, adequately.
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

I think the 276 or newer/similar units are the best choice for off-road navigation based on the demonstrated difference between Ho's and Sheki's GPS units in Mexico.

The 2-DIN in-dash units are pretty much limited to on-road use and I think that any attempt to make them do otherwise is too much of a stretch. Also, as previously noted, they're impossible to use outside of the vehicle, which I don't consider to be a bonus feature, but a necessity. Imagine if you were in James Kim's shoes and had such a GPS unit... If he had one he might not be dead today.

Even if coordinates are easily entered, without basic map support I don't see the Kenwood/Alpine/Pioneer units being viable options.

I have a 276 mounted in my center dash tray on my RRC and I currently plan to remove my head unit and use that spot to mount my 706. Since I'm not into XM or iPods, I plan to wire the 706 to the factory speakers in my truck and use that for all of my audio needs.
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

LOL.

I'm not saying it's the exact same thing, but it's close enough to be funny.
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:33 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Damn, that is funny.
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Won Park

give yourself a hand John.

Or are you busy jiggling the same spot everyday?
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:38 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Huh?
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Won Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee

Absolutely hideous.

I realize that ECR is just doing what the customer wants, but that's just vehicle butchery. If someone asked us to do something like that I would give him the hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
I've been jiggling the Spot every day for the past few days to see if the tape is deteriorating from the cold or weight, and I'm happy to report that the tape is still tip top.

sorry.... couldn't help jumping/mixing the thread.
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:25 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

We used a lot of nav at RR7, and I had my eye out on the various nav systems in different trucks:

Won has a 276 mounted in his D90:

As you can see, there is nothing bolted to the dash. Instead, Won's 276 is suction-cupped to his windscreen:

Many will scoff at the suction cup, but this is a very practical set-up. The unit may be moved to different vehicles if desired, or may be relocated within the same vehicle if a particular mounting position turns out to be less than ideal.

Won's GPS is also mounted much closer to the steering wheel, and back away from the windscreen, than with other mounting methods:

I think the suction cup is a very viable way of mounting the 276 in the Defender.
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Eric Siepmann

http://www.d-90.com/forum/attachment...achmentid=9094

You sure you don't want this in your defender?
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Lovely.
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Read Kerlin
KI6CSI

I believe the suction cup method is not legal under California vehicle Code. I'll have to do more research on the subject to really pin it down. But it is a possibility.
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Won Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by read
I believe the suction cup method is not legal under California vehicle Code. I'll have to do more research on the subject to really pin it down. But it is a possibility.

You are correct.

Following info. is straight from the Garmin site.

Quote:
NOTICE TO DRIVERS IN CALIFORNIA AND MINNESOTA: State law prohibits drivers in California and Minnesota from using suction mounts on their windshields while operating motor vehicles. Other Garmin dashboard or friction mounting options should be used. Garmin does not take any responsibility for any fines, penalties, or damages that may be incurred as a result of disregarding this notice. (See California Vehicle Code Section 26708(a); Minnesota Statutes 2005, Section 169.71)
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:15 AM
DJ Menasco

That's a peculiar law.

Won, is your 276 powered via the cigar lighter or is it hard wired to another location?
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:24 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
NOTICE TO DRIVERS IN CALIFORNIA AND MINNESOTA: State law prohibits drivers in California and Minnesota from using suction mounts on their windshields while operating motor vehicles. Other Garmin dashboard or friction mounting options should be used. Garmin does not take any responsibility for any fines, penalties, or damages that may be incurred as a result of disregarding this notice. (See California Vehicle Code Section 26708(a); Minnesota Statutes 2005, Section 169.71)

Damn. I guess that rules out the suction cup method for me.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Won Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
That's a peculiar law.

Won, is your 276 powered via the cigar lighter or is it hard wired to another location?

It is hardwired.
I chose to route the wire thru the dash parcel area, instead of the top of the dash. This way, when I have the GPS off the windshield, I can just drop the wire and hide it. Otherwise, it would be dangling on the top of the dash and I didn't care for that.

That law is indeed perculiar. I mean, the rear view mirror is stuck on the windshild. So, if I put crazy glue the suction cup, then would that be ok?

Also, that crappy and loose bean-bag mount sitting on the dash is ok but, the suction cup is not?

Go figure.....
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Jesse Ware
KB1NZE

You could always mount the suction cup to the sunroof if you have one. Or use one of the Ram screw down mounts, I know it is against your morals to drill unnecessary holes but this is one sweet mount.

http://65.102.174.116/rammount/produ...RAM-B-138-GA7U

Jesse
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:28 PM
ajones

I know when I got may Garmin it came with a round Dash mount so you did not have to use the suction cup on the window. The suction cup mounted to the round dash mount and it works very well. No one else Garmin came with a dash mount?
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Trevor Tarr
K6TAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajones
No one else Garmin came with a dash mount?
My 276C came with Garmin's marine mount (and no suction-cups or bean-bags):

What I'm using though, is the RAM mount Jesse mentioned:
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:30 PM
ajones

Here check this out

http://gpsnow.com/gmmap276c.htm

it should be down almost to the bottom of the page. It may help you out with the Dash Mount.
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:36 AM
DJ Menasco

At first the suction cup mount was somewhat appealing because it would have allowed me to transplant it into our other vehicle, but since we now have in car navigation I decided to ask a friend of mine (Ed Sanman) to build a replica of his 176 dash mount.

The ashtray mount is ideal because it installs in a flash, but I can also house both the power and antenna leads under the tray when the unit isn't in use.

Its supported by 1/2" clear plastic (I'm not sure which polymer) with 1/16" black abs plastic affixed to the top. A bar of tapped 1/8" aluminum acts as the main support by clamping the unit into place. The 1/2" block wash an oversized cut, which was molded with 800 grit w/s paper into the ashtray. I left the block slightly larger than the ashtray to provide snug fit. The abs was also molded with the same mesh.

At the advice of Ed I went with the RAM device to secure the GPS to the plastic foundation. He said the equivalent Garmin product shattered the first time he used it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01248.JPG (219.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01250.JPG (210.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01251.JPG (196.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01252.JPG (218.4 KB, 36 views)
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Trevor Tarr
K6TAT

DJ, that's a beautifully clean install. I'd already used the ash-tray cut-out to mount a Harman-Kardon Drive+Play display, so for the 276C I bolted a RAM base right next to it. (I've got the 3.75" arm on there temporarily, while I wait for a more-appropriate 2.25" to arrive.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dash mounts left close.jpg (223.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Dash mounts right close.jpg (204.2 KB, 19 views)

Old May 7th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Won Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
At first the suction cup mount was somewhat appealing because it would have allowed me to transplant it into our other vehicle, but since we now have in car navigation I decided to ask a friend of mine (Ed Sanman) to build a replica of his 176 dash mount.

The ashtray mount is ideal because it installs in a flash, but I can also house both the power and antenna leads under the tray when the unit isn't in use.

Its supported by 1/2" clear plastic (I'm not sure which polymer) with 1/16" black abs plastic affixed to the top. A bar of tapped 1/8" aluminum acts as the main support by clamping the unit into place. The 1/2" block wash an oversized cut, which was molded with 800 grit w/s paper into the ashtray. I left the block slightly larger than the ashtray to provide snug fit. The abs was also molded with the same mesh.

At the advice of Ed I went with the RAM device to secure the GPS to the plastic foundation. He said the equivalent Garmin product shattered the first time he used it.

I love that installation. I wanted to use the Ashtrey slot... but couldn't figure out a way to secure it looking clean.

Old May 7th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

John, time to call up Ed Sanman?