Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 16th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Won Park

now.... that IS NAV sexy.
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:51 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

got the new Nav today. It's so small, about 1/3 the size of my old one. Can't wait to try it out; however, it won't be for another couple of weeks.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic but it's all I had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_051807_001.jpg (47.9 KB, 31 views)
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:22 PM
DJ Menasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by parantaeyang
I love that installation. I wanted to use the Ashtrey slot... but couldn't figure out a way to secure it looking clean.

Won

I've got some left overs if you'd like to give the ash tray mount a try. Let me know if you're interested.
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:31 PM
Won Park

I would like that.

How do I get hold of your "left overs"?
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:34 PM
DJ Menasco

Just email (medaniel@msn.com) me your shipping address and I'll send you the plastic and hardware.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:50 AM
KI4WWU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
The Garmin factory supplied adhesive disk will adhere to the dash and hold, at least a Streetpilot III, adequately.

Not sure where John stands on the suction cup mount, but my Garmin Nuvi 660 came with the suction cup and adhesive disk mount system. It worked for a while, but the heat down here turned the adhesive under the disk into goop and it peeled up last week. So now I have the mount suctioned to the windshield and it works fine there.

By the way, I love the Nuvi 660.

Old June 4th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I wonder if you could somehow integrate the new iPhone into a touch screen monitor? http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad3/
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Old June 6th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

I think this Michelin unit would look nice in a Defender;

3D View: Yes
Display Type: Touch
Dimensions: 4.8 x 2.8 x 0.7 inches
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:45 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

I'm about to install the new unit today, there is one thing I realized about it though... it doesn't have an auxiliary audio output. My touch screen monitor does have a speaker though, so the sound will come out of that. I took the screen apart and saw that it is a traditional speaker with a +/- contact. I am going to cut them wires and splice into them with my B pillar speaker. I went to Radio Shack and WalMart last night looking to buy an amplifier that I could use to boos the signal... no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'll try and take some photos of the install but I'm pushed for time and you all know how that goes.
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Are you here?
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:19 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

I'm hanging with Dorothy and Toto, should be there on Friday afternoon/evening.

So no help from anyone about amplifying the signal?
Old June 20th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Daniel Long

Okay, you should have two options about sound:

First, you could take the two speaker wires and splice them into an analog RCA plug and then into the AUX-IN on the back of your stereo if you have one. This would be the easiest to do, but you'd have to have your stereo on AUX to hear the sound.

Second, run the speaker wire to an analog RCA plug and into the IN plug of a cheap little audio amplifier. I'm willing to bet an Advanced Autoparts or AutoZone in town has a little cheapy for ~$20. It doesn't have to do much, you aren't looking for the bass to "bump yo ride" or whatever, just enough to hear the sound.

Your work would consist of splicing the speaker wire into an RCA and running a power wire to the amp. Most amps require 3 wires for power: a constant "hot", an ignition on "remote" wire, and the ground. To make things easy you can run an ignition on 12V source to the power wire and then bridge it with a short length of wire to the remote terminal since you'll only be using the for low level stuff when the engine is on.

I remember building an amplifier in a circuits class about 2 years ago, but don't have a lab report about it and seem to remember blowing up a directional capacitor in that class as well, probably not the safest thing.

You may be able to just use a larger speaker, especially if you can find a 3" or so speaker that has the same resistance as the little speaker in the unit. Since the speaker was probably chosen to be as cheap as possible this might not be so hard.
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:19 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Dan,
Thank you for the info. When no one replied I called my cousin who is an electrical engineer and asked him about it. He said he'd make me a amplifier board, something small for me to connect the speakers to.

The speaker I'm using is a 3" Land Rover speaker, I mounted it in the B pillar of my defender. Hopefully what he makes will work well and I'll be able to hear the Nav with the windows down while on the highway.

Thanks again for your reply, it was very helpful and what I was originally looking for.
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Daniel Long

Having a personal E.E. will definately help and a custom build amplifier would be the slickest way to do this. Good luck!
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:21 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydisco
Having a personal E.E. will definately help and a custom build amplifier would be the slickest way to do this. Good luck!

Unfortunately my cousin didn't have all the parts to build the amp for me but sent me a link to an electronic store that sold kits to build one and for an extra $10 would build it for you.

So I was able to test what Garmin said could not be done. I was at the shop yesterday, Ho hooked his laptop to the new unit via USB port on the unit itself. Using Garmin software he had for his GPS unit he was able to recognize my unit and upload his saved "favorite" destinations and way points. This unit will do pretty much what I need it to.

One of my big complaints is the menu, it has too many steps. with the touch screen it's not bad but still annoying. another big problem I have is it's lack of POI input into the system. I tried looking for 2 locations via store name and neither showed up. On my old system I know they would have. I'll have to see if Garmin has an upgrade or regional area update that will allow for more information to be uploaded. Ho's Garmin unit had the listing for the places I was looking for. Once I get this new amp set up I'll be even happier! Nothing like trying to listen to a 3/4", 1 watt speaker in a diesel defender on the highway with the windows down.
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Tami is getting ready to build one like this http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sgoode...nningOnALaptop

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK8BpNwDH3w&eurl=

....just cause she's geeky like that.

But, here is what she's about to buy, she thinks (Still researching)
http://www.mini-box.com/VoomPC-Enclosure-2

http://guino.home.insightbb.com/roadrunner.html

http://dynamixcomputers.com/xenarc_7..._scr een.html

She's not sure yet about a nav program, yet. Most likly Garmin.
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
Here is the working link for the screen:
http://dynamixcomputers.com/xenarc_7..._scr een.html
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

After spending all wekend looking at all the different models out there, we're back to square one. There is nothing out there we could find that has all the options Tami wants. Basically, she's looking for the following:
7" double DIN touch screen
Nav with the option of Topo
XM or Sirius with real time traffic info
Bluetooth
DVD
MP3
HDD
30gb+ harddrive
SD Card slot
Expanded POI
Coordinates search
Ability to add rear monitiors if ever desired
Radio controls
iPod ready
HD Radio Ready
CD Chander Ready

The Z2 comes very close to all the options she wants, with the exception of the expandable maps. So does the Eclipse 5495.

Our brains are fried form looking. Anyone know of any better options?
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Z1 in an LR3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z1.jpg (21.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg z11.jpg (21.8 KB, 21 views)
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:18 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

That is one super clean install and custom (assuming) bevel for the unit. Where did you see that one?

The GPS units in Japan make the ones in the US look like paper maps. I think 90% of all cars have them installed aftermarket, all the taxis have them. Here is one with a split screen, the really interesting part is when we would come up on a point of interest the left half of the screen would show a photo of the point (all were of buildings). It was pretty cool, it would also make reference to the point (again... assuming as I don't speak Japanese).

The taxis in Japan are all dash sexy with a credit card machine separate credit card receipt printer, radio, GPS and large digital fare display.

I was walking around today, as it was my first and only day off of work, when I came across a black double cab 110. It was really pretty nice, except for the few mods. Had after market wheels and tires as well as chrome manual shifter knob and chrome gauge bezels (ugly). As I was trying to taking pictures of the interior (black leather seats with white stitching) the owner came out, he wasn't looking to talk and just used his keyless entry to unlock the doors and fire up the sweet sound of the Td5.

Sorry John and Jack, no pictures of teenage girls with short shorts on... they were around, oh... were they around; however, I just was too tired to go chasing them to take "dirty old man" pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GPS1.jpg (166.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg GPS2.jpg (170.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg front.jpg (201.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg seats.jpg (179.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg rear.jpg (221.9 KB, 35 views)
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Some stereo shop in Scottsdale (or ville) AZ did that install. The trim is fiberglass and painted to finish. I have to question the duribility of the paint... It looks good, but it's a 700.00 install! I spoke with a local guy here who does the R&D for Crutchfield and he claims the LR3 is awaiting a "custom double DIN install kit". SHould be avaliable in a few months. Might be best to wait for that on the LR3. But still, the Z2 is sweet.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:06 PM
reelpain

I'm diggin that D90 dashboard with the switch panel. Very nice Dmarchand..
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
reelpain

Sheki;

The GPS's in Japan are so sweet. Lived there a long time...and stay away from the girls!!!
Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelpain
Sheki;

...and stay away from the girls!!!

never!